Self-care Express: Almost Autumn
It’s almost over … but it’s not too late!
Up in the northern hemisphere, I’m noticing a chill. It is not sweater weather but I can see it from here. Obviously not something I dread, because with sweaters comes cassoulet. (I may have mentioned here before my favorite recipe. It is not traditional, if you care about “authenticity” in food; I do not. I care about delicious and this is.)
Whether winter is coming or it’s about to heat up, the seasons are changing. And that means now is a very good time to appreciate what we’ve got, and see if there isn’t a little more enjoyment to be had in this moment.
Which, after all, is the only time we ever get.
What do you want to do with your wild and precious August?
Because I suspect you love a list, that’s where I suggest we all go now. Let’s make a list of everything we want to do while we still can, before everything goes pumpkin spice on us.
Keeping it realistic, here’s mine:
- One more day-long beach day. Just because I’m old enough for a lifetime pass doesn’t mean I shouldn’t use that pass like a Zoomer on the night shift.
- Barbie! Clearly a movie for the season. Can’t put it off.
- Morning coffee on the patio. My barista (and life partner) prefers coffee in bed. Soon we won’t have a choice though so I bet he’ll join me outside.
- Speaking of, I’m going to try to get some patio furniture on sale. I cannot let 2024 be the Year of Uncomfortable Patio Furniture for the 20th year in a row.
- At least one Niçoise salad arranged using Martha-like attention to detail. With platter drama. And homemade mayo. And friends.
- Send some money to the people of Lahaina! I’m ashamed of how long I can go before fulfilling a good intention, and this one’s urgent. You know what I’m going to do it right now: hawaiicommunityfoundation.org.
- Okay that’s done! Last item then: Start planning for next year’s vacation. It’s true that we only have this moment, and yet … I always need something to look forward to.
What about you? What’s on your last-chance list for the season? There’s still time to let us know and then go do it. Put your intentions in the comments below.