If you’ve been hanging out here at MDK for a while, you know that for the past few years we’ve hosted a friendly pattern competition, called March Mayhem, inspired by a popular college basketball tournament here in the US.
This year, we’re changing it up. We’re adopting a looser format that we hope will make this March even more of a celebration of the fantastic knitting patterns that were published in 2020. It will be like March Mayhem, but with more mayhem. Less competition, more input from knitters about their favorite designs, and more eye candy for everyone.
We’re calling this shindig Pattern Party.
Pattern Party will be a celebration of the designers who knocked it out of the park in the past year. Some of them will be new, or new to us, and some will be designers who have been turning out hits for years.
You have an important role to play: nominating. You will be our eyes, ears, and needles as we celebrate the most intriguing, beautiful, exciting knitting patterns of 2020.
Help Us Find the Great Patterns of 2020
Aside from having a rollicking good time discovering new patterns to knit, the main goal of our Pattern Party is to celebrate the work of independent designers, and show off wonderful examples of good design.
There are so many patterns published in a year that a diamond can easily disappear into the rough.
So we ask your help today. Help us find the great patterns of 2020!
What Patterns Qualify?
- Pattern must have been published for the first time during 2020.
- Pattern must be a paid pattern, or published in a paid publication. No free patterns, please. (One goal here is to put actual dollars in the pockets of these designers, by boosting pattern sales.)
- Pattern must be available by download, or otherwise readily available for purchase. It can’t be in a publication that is no longer for sale, for example.
- Any category is eligible. Knitting patterns tend to sort themselves into broad categories, such as Sweaters, Accessories, Socks, and Home Decor, but there are no limits here. If you think a pattern is outstanding, nominate it.
How to Suggest a Pattern
Editor’s Note: Nominations are now closed. Join us for Pattern Party starting March 29!
- Fill out our handy Pattern Party form. Please do not leave a comment on this post with your pattern suggestion. We will avidly look at everything, and the form will help us keep it all straight.
- Please submit just one form. It’s hard, but you can do it!
- Deadline for nominations: Sunday, February 28, 11:59 pm Central time.
While our format is changing, the spirit will be the same: to have a great time thinking about the folks who are providing us with such brilliant things to make. Knitting would be no fun without them.
As in years past, it will take us a few weeks to sort through nominations so we can present a fresh and festive flock of patterns to you. The party will start on Monday, March 29, when we begin a week of showing off patterns that received lots of knitterly love in the nominations. While we won’t be bound to a strict numerical limit as we were under the bracket format, we will still want to keep the collection small enough that each design gets its share of the limelight.
We’re really looking forward to sharing the best of 2020’s designs with you. We have a feeling that “want-to-knit” queues are going to balloon this Spring!